Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Enchantment Lakes-October 1973

Greg, Rob, and I set out for a few days in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.  Greg had the red sleeping bag cover, Rob had the green back, and I had the blue pack with a blue sleeping bag cover.                                                                  

Colchuck Lake trail is about five miles long.

Morning light on Assgard Pass looks welcoming.


Greg and Rob try to identify the best route up the 2,200' elevation gain within less than a mile of climbing. There is no trail.

I was probably wondering what I got myself into this time.



We make our way safely up the boulder field and to the beginning of the real difficulty.

Rob squeezes his way up Asgard Pass. I think at times we tied our rope to the packs and hauled them up the steeper, more dangerous sections.

Greg looks like he is jogging to the top.

I think that is Dragontail Peak behind Greg who is nearing the top of the pass.

We finally make it to the top and the going becomes easier.

That may be Little Annapurna in the background.


Who shot this photo? Who is that in front with the red pack? I must have taken the photo and we must have encountered another backpacker.


Greg and Rob survey one of the many tarns in the Enchantments.

Rob, Greg, and I find time to rest. I look beat.

That is Prusik Peak in the background. It got its name from Fred Becky who had to lasso the top and using prusiks he climbed the last 50' to the top.







We used Greg's new three-person tent which had a double-wall system. 

The weather closed in on us so we cooked inside the tent.


You would be hard pressed to find a more scenic location for a campsite.


We actually got out and walked around to stretch our legs.







The next morning we woke to snow on the ground.



No climbing on this trip. We packed up and headed out.












I was in the Enchantments one day and came across two models for L.L. Bean.
I like this shot.

That is Snow Lake below us. The trail is long and brutal. It is about about three miles from our campsite to Snow Lake and another seven miles from the lake to the trailhead.

The way we are bundled up it must have been cold. I threw away those hiking boots last year (2015). I bought them in Bellingham in 1969.

   I do not remember how we got back to the Colchuck Lake trailhead to retrieve the car. I do remember the three of us in one car driving back home. We listened intently to the news bulletins which described how members of Nixon's staff resigned while we were in the Enchantments.

We were amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment